Wednesday, 17 February 2016

We never knew it was like this until APC took over, Bisi Akande interview.


What does the controversial arms deal scandal portray to you?
The major problem of Nigeria is corruption; before now, it is done either by inflating contracts, using some “wuru wuru” method to do cover-up. But that of the arms fund was taken directly from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and shared directly. This is a new phenomenon within the corruption face of the Nigerian leader that we don’t know it was that bad. The last time I met the President, I made him know that the depth of the rot was great. It was when we came in that we knew that we are in for a big problem and the country is in for a big problem because the level and the extent of corruption was so deep that I am becoming afraid.  We need to be very ready for the fight against corruption and the government alone cannot do it. Let the Nigerian people support the government in fighting corruption because if the monster, corruption fights back, the whole country is likely to be in trouble. The extent is unimaginable and threatening, very frightening!


What do you suggest as a way forward against corruption?
We have to go back to the primary school and reform. All my life, the only school I went to was a primary school; my parents never had money to take me to secondary, I didn’t go to university but here I am, because the foundation was very strong. Go to any Primary school now, the teachers are sharing money, corruption there is worse than the one you can get in any secondary school. Also in the university and tertiary institution, so why are you blaming the leaders? I think we have a self-reform to do, and individual self-discipline can be the beginning of everything.
 
Do you agree that there is indiscipline among APC members?
Bringing together two pieces of wood to make furniture, if the wood is weak, the furniture will not be strong enough. It is true that we put the party (APC) together in a hurry and we put it together by merging political parties. But before it became a political party, before it glues into one, election had come and we seem to be more concerned with election than the making of the party and immediately after the election, indiscipline sets in and definitely, with such a situation, there will be bickering from here to there. It is the duty of elders including myself to remove the bickering and bring the party together in a stronger form and we are going to achieve that.

What particular thing would you put in place to make a difference in Nigeria should you have the opportunity of leading the state?
It depends on circumstances and situations when you are in office. When you get there, you look at the papers, you look at the stories, you look at what led you to that situation and from there, you take off. I think that is what Buhari did within the first six months; he was taking briefs from all departments of government and he must have had a lot of stories in his head and it is for him to do what is right according to that circumstance. So, if I were to be president of Nigeria today, I will look at the circumstance and the situation on the ground but I think as an observer and as a leader, what I think should be done is to concentrate on how Nigeria will feed itself. If it’s by force, I am ready to join the army of people that will go back to the farm, enough of riding Okada all over the streets. We must all go back individually to make sure that we are able to feed ourselves. When India wanted to come out of it (problem), they stopped importation of foods.
Do you still believe in fiscal federalism and how can it be attained in Nigeria?
Well, I belong to an old school and the old school which I belong never believed in 36 states. The old school which I belong believes in maximum of 18 states and minimum of six, in other words, the whole Yoruba states will be one state because I believe in the creation of states according to cultural unity of the people and the strongest element of culture is language. I believe in the creation of state according to linguistic basis and the whole of Yorubaland will be only one state and definitely when it was like that, the whole western government was lending money to the Federal Government, unlike today when you have 36 states, some of which are not bigger than a local government. I believe in sharing money by derivation; whatever accrues from my state into the federal treasury should come back to me. If I am going to pay royalty or tax or anything, I should do it within me. I believe in the kind of federalism that will not allow uniformity or copying – because they are doing it in Kano, we should do it in Osun, or because they are paying salaries in Delta, we should pay it in Osun – that kind of federalism, I don’t support; I believe in the federalism that will make you to live within your own means. Any money comes from Osun is the one you will spend, if you spend anything above that, you are a debtor and all debtors are never happy for he who goes a-borrowing, goes a-sorrowing.

How true is it that President Buhari is trying to edge you and Asiwaju Tinubu out?
As for me, Bola Tinubu and Buhari, I know that I am in the best of terms with Bola Tinubu and I am in the best of agreement with Buhari. What Buhari is thinking about me is a question you have to put forward to Buhari. I don’t feel marginalised and I don’t think anybody is marginalising me but whether anybody is planning it or not, is a question you are going to put to the right quarters.

Would you advise the FG to implement some of the suggestions made during the 2014 National Conference?
I don’t know what is in the report of the conference but I don’t believe that the way the conference was set up was Nigerian. That conference never included APC which is at least the largest party as shown by election. So, if the largest party is cut out of a conference, the result of the conference to start with is not tenable but I don’t know what the report contains, therefore I cannot tell you if the report should be implemented; I refused to read the report because I didn’t believe in the setting up of the conference and I said it then and my party said it loudly by not sending delegates to that conference to show that the conference is not believed by us and the report of it may not be tenable as such.

No comments: