Friday, 25 December 2015

Read How Ladoke Akintola was killed.

                               Ladoke Akintola
Ambassador Yomi Akintola, the eldest son of the former premier of Western Region, Late Samuel Ladoke Akintola has given a vivid recollection of how his father was killed by the military who staged the first coup against the civilian government in Nigeria in 1966. He spoke ahead of plans to celebrate the 50th remembrance anniversary for the late tempestuous but flamboyant politician.It was the first eyewitness account from the inside of those dark fearful days. Akintola who also went down memory disclosed that their family maintained a cordial relationship with the Awolowo family said
the family had nothing against the Awolowos. The feud between Chief Obafemi Awolowo, first Premier of Western Region and Akintola his former deputy who later mounted the saddle as premier threw the region in multiple crises leading to the trial and imprisonment of Awolowo for treason. The aftermath of this was a series of national calamities including the first bloody military coup which swept away many political figures in the land including Akintola.“Giving account of how his father, the former premier was killed, the former Nigerian Ambassador to Hungary said: “I was at the Premier Lodge with my father but in different sections; one for the children and the other for the premier and his wife. “Suddenly, I heard a phone call rang out and it was Mrs. FaniKayode around 2 and 3pm that was calling. She started shouting on phone saying: “some strange people have kidnapped my husband, where is baba (Chief Akintola)”? “I went straight to my father’s bedroom who came to pick the call and assured her that nothing would happen to her husband and that she should keep calm”. “After speaking with her on phone, he called the security people. As he dashed out to call the security people, shooting had started at this time. I was back at my section and suddenly, a wardrobe blocked me, my younger sibling, wife and my son from going outside the room”.He continued: “The shooting ensued for about two hours. Later, he went out and the shooting
 subsided but by the time we went out, we saw him lying dead in a pool of his own blood on the floor, apparently shot dead during the heavy shooting. We had no option than for my wife to cover him with her clothes. “I was not a toddler and not that old when all these happened. I was there with my father when he was killed and its so unfortunate that I didn’t know how to live my life afterward but God kept me and my other siblings to survive the negative experience. I am grateful that I am also able to guide my siblings to become what we are today”, he added. Speaking on the alleged feud between the families of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, his father’s former boss, before they fell out, he said: “I will say the Akintola family had nothing against the Awolowos and anybody that has that impression should look back into history.“Akintola was leader of the Youth movement, and the movement was the one that gave birth to politics in Nigeria. And when people were calling Akintola to lead the party, he conceded it to Awolowo, to show his loyalty to him. “Its so unfortunate that people did not appreciate Awolowo when he was alive but in death, unlike Nnamdi Azikiwe who was celebrated during his lifetime. Awolowo and Akintola tried their best for this region and their legacies are what we are still enjoying till today. “I and late Segun Awolowo (Awolowo’s son who died early) were like Siamese twins, we do spend our holidays and do things together, his death was shocking. It was after his death that I was hospitalised for about nine months and doctors could not ascertain what was wrong with me”, he stressed. Speaking on plans to celebrate 50 years remembrance anniversary of the slain former premier, the chairman planning committee, Mr. Yemi Adedokun said: “we are set for an elaborate celebration with a lecture slated to hold on January 14, 2016

No comments: